We’ve all had them: the clogged drain, the ripped vacuum hose, the unsightly hole in the wall. Home repair emergencies like these are the last thing you need when you’re running out the door, running after the kids, or fielding other household chores. Channel your inner MacGyver by taking advantage of one common household item the classic action hero made famous: a roll of duct tape.
We’ve collected some MacGyver-inspired ideas from the Internet.
What MacGyver did:
Used duct tape to seal a hole in a hot air balloon, allowing him to escape his pursuers.
What you can do:
- Fix a slow-running toilet. Clear the clogged flush passage with wire, then empty the water tank and seal the passage hole with duct tape. Fill the tank with a quart of vinegar and leave overnight.
- Weatherproof windows. Use strips of duct tape to make windows air tight until you can fix or replace them.
- Make a temporary roof shingle. Wrap strips of duct tape across a ¼ inch thick piece of plywood cut to size.
- Tie off loose wires. Wrap small, thin strips of duct tape around exposed ends.
- Patch holes and tears in duct work, dryer vents, and a torn vacuum hose to temporarily seal leaks.