If you installed extra protection over your windows and doors, you may be eligible for an energy tax credit.
Tax credits limits and deadlines:
- Available only to those who didn’t take advantage of the 2009-2010 energy tax credit program.
- For storm doors, up to a $500 credit.
- For storm windows, up to a $200 credit.
- Installation costs aren’t covered.
- 10% of expenditures, up to $500 for the year, for all energy improvements combined.
- Must have been installed by Dec. 31, 2013.
- Save receipts and each manufacturer’s certification statement, which is used to find qualifying products.
- File IRS Form 5695.
The Energy Star site is your safest bet for information on how to get the credit and what’s covered. Don’t rely solely on contractors who may not know the details or who promise their products will get the credit in order to make a sale.
Read on to learn more: