1. Plungers: No home should be without these suckers/pushers whose rubber cups form a seal around the drain or toilet. Use a cup plunger to push clogs through sinks and tubs; use a flange plunger, with a non-splash ball cup, for toilets. Use a bellows plunger when the other two don’t work. Cost: Cup, $3 to $4; flange, $8 to $15; bellows, $7 to $11.
2. Closet auger: Named for “water closet,” this 3-foot plumbing tool has a crank, handle, and flexible shaft tipped with an “auger bit” that breaks and grabs troublesome toilet clogs. Cost: $10 to $20.
3. Hand auger, aka plumber’s snake: A hand-powered crank and reel of ¼-inch steel cable clears obstructions from sink, tub, and shower drains. Cost: $15 to $30.
4. Hacksaw: This go-to saw cuts through just about anything—metal pipe, hardware, nuts, or bolts. Keep blades tight in the frame, and keep extras on hand. Cost: $15 to $30. Blades: $5 for 2.
5. Adjustable pipe wrench: The serrated mouth on this iconic plumbing tool grips pipes. It has one fixed jaw and one that moves by turning a thumb screw. Buy two—one for gripping and holding, one for turning. Cost: $17 to $35.
6. Hex key or Allen wrench set: Thin L-shaped wrenches with hexagonal heads often are used to fix stuck garbage disposals. Cost: $5 to $15 for a set of 6 to 7 wrenches.
7. Caulking gun: A metal frame and trigger holds and applies caulk, which seals seams around the edges of tubs and sinks. Cost: $15 to $25.
8. Tongue-and-goove pliers: Also called water pump pliers or channel locks, these pliers with a right-angled and serrated jaw can turn, hold, twist, or loosen nuts, bolts, fittings, and frozen parts. Buy the 10-inch and 12-inch. Cost: 10-inch $10; 12-inch $10 to $14.
You care about your home. The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® cares about homeownership. To help you become the best, most responsible homeowner you aspire to be, we want to provide you with free information and tools you can use to make smart and timely decisions about your home.
From time to time, we may reach out to you to help us support legislation and/or policies that may have an impact on you, the homeowner. You can choose to join our cause. Or you can choose not to. Regardless, your privacy is safe with us.
We'll never share or sell your email address or other personal information you may provide us in the course of using the site with anyone without your explicit consent.