Here’s a list of maintenance tips to make sure your refrigerator stays cool and calm:
- Every three months, vacuum the fan and condenser coils on the rear or bottom of the appliance using the brush attachment. Families with shedding pets should clean the coils monthly.
- Every three months, clean the door gasket with warm soapy water and towel dry. Inspect the seal for snugness all the way around. Replace when loose, cracked, or torn.
- Every six months, replace the unit’s water filter (when present) to ensure clean water and ice, and to prevent clogs and leaks.
- Always keep food covered to prevent odors from migrating throughout the fridge and freezer. An open box of baking soda ($1) will absorb odor-causing acids for up to three months.
- Always maintain an adequate amount of clearance on all sides of the appliance except for those that are zero-clearance or front-vented.
- Every month, empty out the icemaker bucket and start fresh, as old cubes can absorb odors.
- Every three months, verify that the appliance is level both front to back and side to side to ensure both proper door movement and ice maker operation.